Sunday, January 18, 2009

An Aussie Greek Salad!



This has been a most relaxing weekend! Since June last year we seem to have had visitors non stop! Not that I'm complaining! When you live on the other side of the world to your family and friends it's nice to know that you're not a case of 'out of sight, out of mind'. However I can't deny the feeling of peace that has descended over the house since the last of the visitors left for the airport and the calendar is still empty of visitors for the coming year.

Once all the domestics had been done it was time to turn my attention to the very neglected veggie patch and what did I find? The makings of a very tasty Greek salad. The courgette plants that I put in turned out to be cucumber plants and they were quietly producing away in the corner. I'm not sure what variety they are but rather hope they are the ones rejoicing in the name of 'Burpless'! The Roma tomatoes were also doing a grand job despite weeks of neglect and the beefy tomatoes are hanging off the plants too.

Having picked the produce, washed and chopped it along with half a red onion I drizzled the salad with some local olive oil from the Hunter Valley and added feta cheese. The crusty bread comes from a brilliant patisserie called Pierre's in Turramurra and there we have lunch!

Now all I need to do is think of 6 ways to use up the 6 red cabbages that are waiting to be picked!

8 comments:

Sally said...

Lovely to see you back blogging again. And what great produce you have there, well done. Yum yum.

Coby said...

Growing your own Jilly? I bet nothing tastes better! I adore Greek salad, tastes like summer!

JillyB said...

It's great to be back Sal!
Coby, we don't grow enough to be self sufficient(LOL) but we have fun and it sure is tasty!

Coby said...

Every little bit you grow yourself is a money saver and good for you in so many ways Jilly:) Sadly I only grow a few herbs....lol I rely on my parents for the fruit and veg;)

Rosie said...

It's really lovely to see you back blogging! You sound to have a wonderful crop from your patch:) Greek salad looks scrummy.

Rosie x

Maria♥ said...

Hi Jilly

Happy new year and great to see you blogging again!

I love Greek Salads, especially Nigella's recipe in Forever Summer. Your salad looks delish and I would also serve mine with a crusty baquette!

Maria
x

Anna's kitchen table said...

Ooh, I love Greek salad!

JillyB said...

It's lovely to be back blogging and I'm so enjoying having the time to cook and get on the internet!!Thanks for your lovely comments.